With all my swim training this past months. I have clearly increased my endurance swims, but speed seems to be slightly better than last year. So the strategy plain and simple is to enjoy the swim, stay in a comfortable zone and stay safe. No heroics here.
Wetsuit off, Bike gear on. Get out of there.
1. Approximately 4 mile downhill from mile 10 – 14. In training I did 40 mph on some parts.
2. Reasonably flat from mile 14 – 35. Keep cadence between 90 – 95 rpm.
3. Payback hills from mile 35 to end of first loop – mile 56.
4. There are some recovery spots along the way from mile 35. Patience with the “three bear” climbs.
5. If you feel great go for it on the second loop.
Definitely wearing socks here. Still not sure if I will go with compression or regular. I may have both in transition and wear according to how my legs feels. Newtons on lace up and get out of there for the Lake Placid marathon.
1. First 8 miles of the run can be very fast. Patience is a MUST.
2. 5 miles back into town for the first loop is hilly. Just maintain on the first loop.
3. Feel free to make use of the 9 months of training on the final 5 miles of the marathon leg.